Life in the Bundeswehr: A German Veteran Shares His Story

Behind the Uniform: A Conversation on Military Service in Germany

In this interview, we speak with a German native who spent time serving in the Bundeswehr. We discuss what drew him to enlist, what life is like during his time in service, the lessons he carried back into the civilian world, and everything else in between.

──────────────────── Start of Interview ──────────────────

1. To things off, could you introduce yourself and share a bit about your background before entering the military? And share an overview of your time in the military. Which branch did you serve in, and what was your specific role or assignment? How long did you serve and from what years? What locations you were stationed at, etc…

My name is Marwin Biscan, I served 4 years in the German infantry 10/2017-10/2021. Therefore  I have been a student. 

My jobs in my group were always different in the first 2 years. Started as anti tank crew (we used to call it suicide squad), layer became the groups medic. And after this I became a DMR (Designated marksman Rifle). And for this I specialized. 

I have been stationed at Berlin for 6 month and at a place that’s secret. I won so many memories in this time, I sometimes dream about these things.

2. What motivated you to join the German military, and how did your friends and family react when you decided to enlist?

I went there first of all for money. But I found brotherhood, and this brotherhood kept me going. The reactions were a bit weird, my grandma was sad. My parents reaction doesn’t count. For them I’ve just became an ATM. My friends didn’t know it until I arrived in basic training so I don’t know their honest reactions . 

3. What are some misconceptions that civilians might have about the military? 

The leftist propaganda tell the world that all soldiers k!ll children. Holy sh!t no, we serve the country to protect EVERYONE even the ones who are against us. 

4. Military basic training is known for being intense. Can you describe what basic training was like for you?

It has been quite fun for me because I already have trained in Military style by relatives when I was a kid. 

5. Once training was complete, what did a typical work day look like for you?

The training is never complete! We trained every day, an often at night. So a regular day at duty looked like physical training like running or lifting weights. Tactical drills or medical training. We never stopped.

6. Military life usually creates strong bonds. How would you describe the camaraderie among your unit and your fellow soldiers? What was it like interacting with soldiers from other countries?

This men were my family, and I would still die for every single one of them. Some created a stronger bond and some became something like lone wolf’s.  But in the end we all stayed together and called it trauma bonding. My favorite moments with foreign soldiers is when we share food, no matter where they were from. The Americans have been funny!

7. Looking back, what were some funny stories or moments that stand out to you the most?

I learned about water boarding. And on a drill in Norway I fell 7ft from a roof, stood up and said welcome to Jack a**. 

8. For you personally, what was the most challenging aspect of military life?

Leaving the Bundeswehr. I had my brothers there, I build a life, I gained trust. And after my time was over there was nothing left, my first day as civilian felt so sad and I felt so useless. 

9. Since your time in service was relatively brief, what led to your decision to return to civilian life? 

I left the Bundeswehr because I knew I couldn’t do this job forever. So I left to become a car mechanic. I wanted a basement for my life. When you join any kind of military in a young age, and you know you’ll not stay forever there you might need to learn a civilian skill/job That carries you through your life. 

Because I know I couldn’t do this infantry thing for the rest of my life. 

So I learned how to be a car mechanic. In Germany we have a dual vocational training program for jobs. And I did this 3,5 years training after army, to become a certified car mechanic

10. How smooth was the transition back to civilian life, and did you experience any "reverse culture shock" after leaving military life?

Yeah it’s been anything but smooth. My friends changed, my family used me finding a job was quiet a hell. The people around me left me, only my brothers in arms stayed. 3 months after my dd124 I almost died because of an OD. After learning about the things my family did to me while I was away.

11. What is the biggest lesson or mindset you took away from your time in the military that still stays with you today?

You can only win if you try! ( the original came from the British SAS : „only who dares wins!“ 

I try everyday new things, and I’m never afraid because even if I fail I win. I win new knowledge and new skills. So it’s always a win. 

12. Is there anything else that you would like to share about your military service that we haven't touched on?

I don’t know what I’m supposed to say, but I’m thankful to you that I can share a bit of my story with you. And want to give you a hug for your interest.


──────────────────── End of Interview ──────────────────

A Note to Our Readers
This was a very insightful interview since I only known about U.S. military, but this made me realize that no matter what country you serve for in the military, it still leaves a lasting mark on your life. A big thank you to Marwin for opening up about his time in the Bundeswehr and offering us a glimpse into his journey.
What part of Marwin’s experience resonated most with you? Let us know in the comments below!
────────────────────────────────────────────────── Follow Marwin Twitter


Comments

Popular Posts